Saturday 24 October 2009

Stormbound

A Lancashire lass took me for an airing on Wednesday and we got stuck on the wrong side of the second barrier on the way home. We sat in the car for a couple of hours watching the sea until the police deemed it safe enough for folk to cross. This situation might have previously caused frustration, but since it is as close to a dramatic sea as I'm going to get for a while, I enjoyed it.



The combination of tide and wind was throwing lumps over the wave wall. It was interesting to sit and watch from the south side where you can see the waves roll in. As time went by I began to predict which ones would make the most impact. I got quite good at it over the two hour period.

I was reminded of the beginning of the year, Gordon's training just east of here, and attempting to understand chaotic seas. I am still waiting for the DVD and wonder if it is lost in the postal chaos.



For folk who don't know Orkney it might be difficult to interpret the scale of the waves in the picture above. Each of the blocks is 10 tonnes.

No comments:

Post a Comment